Festival of the Arts Regional Arts Competition
Underwritten by The Daniel and Pamella DeVos Foundation
Hosted by Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University
2018 Rules and Requirements for the
Festival of the Arts Regional Arts Competition
● Residency: Residents of Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Kent, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, and
Ottawa Counties are eligible.
● Age: There is no age limit.
● All entries must have been completed in the past two years and must not have shown in any
previous Festival of the Arts juried exhibition.
Requirements for entered pieces
● For 2018, each person is allowed up to three (3) entries.
● Entry Fees: $25 for one piece, $40 for 2 pieces, $50 for 3 pieces
● Entry fees are nonrefundable.
● Size: Entries have to fit through the drop off doors at the Water Office Building, 1101 Monroe North. We have to bring all works through the outside door.
○ Two dimensional works cannot be larger than 88” high by 96” wide.
○ Three dimensional works cannot be larger than 36” wide (35” would be easier to get in) by 72” tall by 96” long and must be stable. The height must include any dolly or cart as both will have to fit through the door.
● Paint, glue, and other finishes MUST BE DRY.
● Hanging and installation:
○ All work on paper or those that are matted or mounted must be framed and wired for
hanging or must include map pins or magnets. No BINDER CLIPS are allowed.
○ Exposed electrical wires, broken glass shards, sharp points, saw tooth hangers, clip frames, or exposed glass edges ARE NOT PERMITTED.
○ Works may have free moving parts.
○ Works can be hung from the ceiling, but may not weigh over 25 pounds.
○ Limited electrical outlets are available. Instructions for turning on and off must be included.
○ No accompanying literature will be allowed.
● Entries selected for the exhibition and any work purchased must remain on display from May 30, through June 23, 2018 at The Fed Galleries @ KCAD.
Drop-Off of entries and pick up art:
Drop-off of all art will be at the former Water Office Building at 1101 Monroe North (just south of Leonard Street).
Drop-off dates and times at 1101 Monroe North:
Thursday, May 3, noon to 6:00 pm
Friday, May 4, 3:00 to 7:00 pm
Saturday, May 5, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Pick-up of non-selected works at 1101 Monroe North:
Friday, May 11, 3:00 to 7:00 pm
Saturday, May 12, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Pick Up of selected works after the show. (All works that are in the show will be picked up at KCAD after the Closing Reception in The Fed Galleries @ KCAD or at the Division Avenue Loading Dock:
Saturday, June 23, 4:00 to 5:00 pm (after the Closing Reception)
Monday, June 25, Noon to 7:00 pm at the loading dock.
Drop-off and Pickup Requirements
● IMPORTANT: Works which cannot be safely handled by volunteers at any time during drop-off or installation will not be accepted. Works may be rejected based on suitability and/or ease of display. The decision of the Festival 2018 Regional Arts Competition Committee on these issues is final. NO EXCEPTIONS
● All entries must be hand delivered (NO MAIL or UPS, etc.)
● Entries will be accepted only on the dates and times listed and only at 1101 Monroe North.
● Identification labels issued by Festival of the Arts must be attached correctly at time of drop-off.
Follow instructions on the labels emailed after online registration. The identification label must be attached to the back, upper right hand corner of each two dimensional work, and on the bottom or back of three dimensional works.
● A fee of $10 per day will be charged for ENTRIES NOT PICKED UP by the stated deadlines.
All entries not claimed within one week of that deadline will be considered abandoned and
become property of Festival of the Arts in Grand Rapids and will be disposed of as seen fit.
● IMPORTANT: The Festival 2018 Regional Arts Exhibition is conducted by Festival of the
Arts in Grand Rapids as a public service. Neither Festival of the Arts in Grand Rapids
nor Ferris State University/Kendall College of Art and Design (KCAD) accept any responsibility for loss or damage and do not provide insurance for works submitted. Artists are advised to arrange for insurance if they wish to carry it on their works.
Selection and notification
● Jurying is closed to the public.
● Jurors do not have access to entry information including sale prices, number of works submitted, or other information apart from entrant’s signature included on work.
● All entrants will be notified of selection status via email. Selected works will be posted on the
festivalgr.org website shortly after email notification. Notification of selection by postcard is available on request.
Sale of works during exhibition
● We encourage entry of works that are for sale.
● Works that are not for sale are also acceptable, and jurors do not know the sales status at the time of selection.
● All sales transactions will be handled by Festival of the Arts in Grand Rapids.
● Any work purchased must remain on display from May 30, through June 23, 2018 at The Fed Galleries @ KCAD, 17 Pearl St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.● Entrants must indicate the sale price for each entry they wish to sell. A commission of 25% will be deducted from the sale amount. Sales tax will be added and not come out of the artist’s percentage.